- 14 oz bag of Great Northern Beans
- 8 cups of water
- medium onion diced
- half of a red pepper diced
- half of a green pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup of olive oil plus a tablespoon
- 2 chorizo caseros sliced in 1/4 in slices
- 1 cup of a ham steak or hickory smoked pork chops (I use Smithfield Boneless Pork Chops)
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- a dash of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of garlic salt (I use Lawry’s brand)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 1 Goya sazon con azafran
- 1 Goya salon con culantro y achiote
- 2 potatoes
- 1 malanga
- 1 cup of calabaza cut in big cubes
- 2 whole carrots sliced in about 1/4 inch
Wash beans and soak them in 8 cups of water for at least 2 hours.
In medium/high heat boil beans for about 30 minutes.
In a large pan heat olive oil. Add onion, peppers, garlic and sauce for 3 minutes. Add chorizo, ham, oregano, cumin, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, bay leaves, sazon con azafran and sauce for 2 more minutes.
Add the chorizo and ham saute to the beans and stir.
Add the potatoes, malanga, calabaza and carrots.
Cook on low for about 30 minutes and stir. Smash some of the pieces of malanga, potatoes and calabaza to give it a thicker consistency and cook on low for about 10 more minutes. Repeat this process until it has the consistency you want.
Turn off the heat and add the tablespoon of olive oil and stir.